Lemon and Poppy Seed cakes - Miranda Gore Browne
Preparation time: 10 minutes | Baking time: 20-25 minutes
Ingredients (Makes at least 12):
- 180g unsalted butter, softened
- 180g caster sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 250g ground almonds
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
For the icing
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 150g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°/Gas 3) and line a 12-hole muffin
tray with paper cases.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest.
- Beat in the eggs and then fold in the almonds, poppy seeds and
- Spoon into the prepared cases, smooth the tops with a palette knife
and then bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, until golden
and springy to the touch.
- Mix the icing ingredients together in a bowl and spoon over
the cakes once they are completely cold.