Miranda Gore Browne
Lovely Lavender Biscuits
Ingredients: makes about 18
1 heaped tbsp lavender flowers (no stalks)
175g self-raising flour, sifted
50g caster sugar
pinch of salt
130g unsalted butter, traight from the fridge
caster sugar, for sprinkling
You will also need:
5 cm heart-shaped or
- Put the lavender and flour into a food processor and chop finely.
- Add the sugar, salt and semolina and whizz to combine. Finely chop or coarsely grate the butter into the mixture and whizz again until a dough forms. Squash into a flat disc, wrap tightly in cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Mark 4 and line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the chilled dough between two sheets of fresh cling film and roll out to a thickness of 3–4 mm. Using a 5 cm cutter, stamp out hearts or circles. Place on the prepared trays, spacing them at least 3 cm apart, and sprinkle with caster sugar.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes, or less if the biscuits are very small. Sprinkle generously with caster sugar straight after taking them out of the oven, and leave to cool.