Ellen has kidney failure and receives daily dialysis treatment. She wants to be a chef and it was her dream to visit Heston Blumenthal's 3 Michelin Star Restaurant, The Fat Duck.
275g (10oz) golden syrup
275g (10oz) black treacle
225g (8oz) light muscovado sugar
225g (8oz) softened butter
450g (1lb) self raising flour
2 level tsp ground mixed spice
2 level tsp ground ginger
4 large eggs, beaten
4 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 160°c/fan140°c/gas 3.
- Grease a 30 x 23cm (12 x 9 in tray bake or roasting tin, line base with baking parchment.
- Measure the treacle, syrup, butter and sugar into a large pan and heat gently until butter has melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the flour and spices.
- Add the beaten egg and milk and beat until smooth.
- Pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake in pre heated oven for 45-50 minutes or until cake has shrunk back from the sides of the tin and springs back when pressed in the centre.
- Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes then turn out, peel off parchment and leave n a wire rack to cool.
- Cut the cake into 16 slices for those who like their cake or 20 smaller slices for more sensible people!