Gemma Warden - Rocking Rock Cakes
Gemma has had Leukaemia. She loves cooking and coming up with new and interesting recipes. Her dream came true when she got a behind the scenes tour of the kitchens at Heston Blumenthal's restaurant 'Dinner' at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. She got to see how a busy service was run and was able to taste a lot of the excellent food that was produced.
Ingredients: makes 16 rock cakes
400g self-raising flour
150g butter or margarine cubed
150g brown sugar
150g mixed dried fruit
10 Glacé cherries
- Preheat the oven to 220°C or gas mark 7.
- Sieve the flour into the large mixing bowl.
- Rub in the cubed butter or margarine into the flour, until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir the sugar, dried fruit and glacé cherries in to the flour.
- Whisk the eggs lightly in the small bowl.
- Make a careful well in the flour mixture and carefully add the eggs in. [If your mixture is too dry then add a tiny amount of water to get it to stick together, it should have the consistency of a soft but firm dough].
- Using two spoons or your fingers divide the dough into quarters to make 16 "rocks" and place on your baking tray.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on the cooling rack, then butter and eat.