Jane Asher - Lemon Traybake
A very easy tray bake recipe: as far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong with lemon, one of my very favourite tastes, and it makes for a zingy, fresh cake that's great for summer teas. It's made using the all-in-one method, which is quick to make - and to clear up.
Ingredients: Makes 16
225g spreadable butter
225g castor sugar
4 medium eggs
300g self-raising cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
Grated rind and juice of 1 large lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan assisted, 350°F, gas mark 4). Grease a 12"x9" baking tray and line the base with baking parchment.
- Simply put all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat well together.
- Turn the mix into the baking tray and bake for 35-40 minutes until risen and springy to the fingers. Let the cake cool in the tray.
- Spread with lemony butter icing, mark into 16 slices and decorate each one with a sugar 'lemon slice'
- Drizzle with lemon glace icing and serve with raspberries.
- For a soaked cake, make a lemon syrup: in a small pan, gently heat 125g sieved icing sugar in the juice of a lemon, stirring for 2-3 minutes until a clear syrup is formed, not allowing it to boil. Prick the cake all over with a fork while still warm from the oven, then gently spoon the syrup over it, letting it soak in gradually. Once cold, remove from the tin and dust with a little extra icing sugar.