Miranda Gore Browne - Pretty Little Strawberry Cakes
Heavenly vanilla sponge is baked with swirls of strawberry jam then sandwiched with the palest pink strawberry mascarpone frosting and fresh slithers of fresh strawberry. Decorate with delicate sugar flowers or strawberries to make the prettiest little cakes for your Dream Tea.
You will need:
Tray-bake tin 20x30cm
For the cake:
225g unsalted butter, softened
225g caster sugar
2 tablespoons of milk
225g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
6 tablespoons of good quality strawberry jam
For the frosting:
125g icing sugar
3 tablespoons of strawberry jam
100g strawberries, thinly sliced
Pretty sugar decorations
Making and baking:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Line a tray bake tin with baking paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs and mix again.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix gently.
- Add the milk.
- Scrape into the prepared tin.
- Swirl in the jam, leaving a ripple effect and smooth with a palette knife.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until firm and springy to touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin for at least ten minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Whilst the cake is cooling, make the frosting.
- Put the mascarpone in a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon, sift in the icing sugar then beat again until smooth. Or use a mixer.
- Add the strawberry jam a little at a time, mixing well after each addition. Put in the fridge to firm up a little.
- When the cake is completely cold, place it on a chopping board & trim the edges off with a sharp knife.
- Slice the cake into 24 squares then slice each square in half so that you can fill it with the frosting.
- Use a palette knife, or pipe the frosting into the middle of each of the cakes.
- Put a few sliced strawberries on top of the frosting, add another dollop of frosting and put the other piece of cake on top.
- Spread or pipe frosting on top, then decorate with sugar flowers.
- Place each cake into a pretty cupcake case or place directly on a pretty tray and decorate with a few strawberries and summery flowers.
Recipe taken from 'Bake Me a Cake as Fast as You Can' by Miranda Gore Browne - published by Ebury Press, £14.99.